This page contains information to help people with filing civil lawsuits in a federal court without legal representation.
Proceeding without a lawyer is called proceeding "pro se", a Latin phrase meaning "for oneself"
Self Help – Document Preparation Program - Electronic Pro Se
This program is not intended to be a substitute for an attorney or to provide you legal advice, it is designed to help you fill out the following documents you intend to file with the Court:
- Private Pro Se Complaint (Non-Prisoner)
- Petition Under 28 U.S.C. 2254 For a Writ Of Habeas Corpus By a Person In State Custody Pursuant to a Judgment of Sentence
- Motion Under 28 U.S.C. 2255 to Vacate, Set Aside, or Correct a Sentence by a Person In Federal Custody
- Petition Under 28 U.S.C. 2241 for a Writ of Habeas Corpus
- Prisoner pro se complaint
At the end of this program, you will be able to edit and print a copy of all of your documents needed to start your lawsuit.
Pro Se Package - A Simple Guide to Filing a Civil Action
Pro Se Handbook - A Guide to Self-Representation