If a new civil case is filed, and an application for a temporary restraining order (TRO) or similar document requesting emergency relief is filed after the Clerk’s Office has closed, and court attention is needed prior to the next business day, the filer must call the Clerk’s Office at 412-208-7302 and leave a voicemail message with the following information:
- the caller's name
- the client's name if the caller is an attorney
- the caller’s contact information (telephone and email)
- a detailed description of the emergency that requires immediate court action and an explanation of why it cannot wait until the next business day, and
- if documents were submitted through CM/ECF at an existing case, the case number and the docket number of the document requiring emergency attention, or
- if documents were submitted at Misc. Case No. 05-2025, the document number of the document requiring emergency attention, and the short caption of the case.
Before calling, attorneys and others that are registered CM/ECF users must file a written application for such emergency relief on the Court’s docket using CM/ECF. Parties not represented by an attorney and who are not registered CM/ECF users must submit their documents (including a complaint or other case-initiating document and a written application for emergency relief) by email to Emergency_Filing@pawd.uscourts.gov. After submitting written documents via either method, filers must call the emergency number and leave a message in order to receive expedited after-hours review.
Messages left at the emergency number will be monitored outside of normal business hours. However, not all calls will be returned, and calls may not be returned immediately. Messages that do not communicate that a true emergency exists will not be returned. Messages may not be returned if no written application for emergency relief is received. To the extent possible, advance notice of emergency filings should be provided to Chambers and to the Clerk’s Office during business hours. Messages left at this phone number between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on regular business days will be deleted without review. As a result, telephone messages regarding requests for emergency relief directed to this number should be the exception and not the rule.
For emergency filings made during regular business hours (8:30 am to 4:30 pm), upon filing a civil action that has an emergency request for relief, please contact (412) 208-7500. We will process the matter immediately.
Media inquires on emergency, after hours hearings are to be directed to 412-208-7302 or emailed to PAWD_Media@pawd.uscourts.gov.
For those who are interested in obtaining notice of election or voting related cases, please see Election Notice
Instructions to add cases to your CM/ECF account for noticing are here